Leading businesses are looking to find human capital management (HCM) software that’s designed with people at the center. The purpose of this software is to truly serve the greater good of the company and improve the personal and professional lives of its employees. These businesses anticipate the needs of their employees and thoughtfully adapt to meet them by leveraging HCM technology that is designed to serve people, not processes.
Harvard Business Review indicates 85 percent of employees are more likely to stay beyond three years in their jobs if they feel they have the technology that supports them at work. By embracing the right technology solutions now, employers can be confident in their ability to attract and retain the talent they need. They can deliver workforce experiences that reflect the connection between life and work today.
What Is the Right HCM Technology for My Business?
In the era of digital transformation and cloud-based services, technology and cross-functional operational tools are the new modern day workplace. As such, they’re becoming central in attracting and retaining new talent, fostering workplace culture, creating productivity and more. The right HCM technology not only accomplishes these things, but also gives your employees the ability to work smarter and seamlessly from anywhere in the world.
HCM technology empowers employees to perform at their full potential. They can accomplish daily tasks from applying for jobs, enrolling in benefits, swapping shifts and managing their time, to accessing and updating payroll information with speed and ease. But what is the plan for obtaining these types of HCM solutions for your business? How can you guarantee you’re making the right decision and who can you recruit to help you along the way? UKG explains how to prepare to navigate the crowded HCM landscape and pick a solution that best fits the needs of your HR team and your modern workforce:
4 Steps to Help You Find the Right HCM Technology
1. Identify Your HCM Needs
Organizations need a simple process for cutting through the noise of the HCM buying process and finding a solution that meets the needs of all the different departments and stakeholders the HCM solution impacts. In your HCM technology selection process, be sure to map out:
- Recognizing when it’s time to invest in new technology.
- Having a clear technology strategy.
- Determining how the solution will help you take care of employee needs.
- Deciding the ideal end state of the project.
- Pinpointing the most pressing challenges/pain points for your people.
- Being clear about your priorities for different HCM-related needs.
Identifying and mapping out these needs at the beginning of the buying process will help you stay focused on what’s most essential to you.
2. Call in the Professionals
Technology is only as great as the people behind it. When you choose an HCM solution, be sure it’s backed by experts who are always there to ensure you feel known, supported and confident while achieving your long-term business goals. Your HCM partner should create meaningful, lasting relationships to enable you to get the most from your solution. They should proactively support you and your people with a team of experts who have the ability to provide cross-functional services (human resources, IT, payroll and workforce management) with an all-in-one HCM solution to help you manage the employee lifecycle.
Your vendor partner should deliver exceptional value to help your organization remain successful today and tomorrow. Your new HCM technology is the sole source of truth for your entire organization when it comes to people, data and processes. When evaluating vendors, make sure they align with this methodology along with the standards of your organization.
3. Do Take It Personally
Today’s employees want employers to think beyond the traditional workplace experience and create great environments that anticipate and adapt to meet their life and work needs. Look for an HCM solution that helps you care for your people professionally and personally. One that helps your organization develop the resilience, agility and adaptability needed to exceed new workforce expectations. After all, your people are the drivers of your organization’s success, so when they thrive, your business does too.
In order to know exactly what you’re getting in your HCM software, you have to ask the right questions:
- Does the HCM solution combine people systems and work systems? It’s important that the HCM solution brings people systems and work systems together to help your business thrive.
- Is the HCM solution designed with innovation that serves all people? To help you build a great workplace for everyone, your chosen HCM solution should empower your organization to build a culture of belonging by creating a culture of community through listening, learning and communicating. This fosters organizational adaptability by not only empowering and engaging people, but by guiding and informing your employees. All of this is an investment in employee growth.
- How powerful is the artificial intelligence (AI) that underpins the HCM solution? To help you better understand your people and drive organizational improvement, your HCM technology should be built with advanced AI technologies. AI can automatically understand, predict and prescribe personalized actions from all relevant HCM data. With the right AI, you predict workforce behavior, analyze employee sentiment and recognize any immediate actions necessary to improve employee satisfaction and retention.
4. User-Friendly HCM Software
You can have the most innovative HCM technology, but if your people don’t know how to use it, you won’t see any improvement in your organization’s processes and strategies. That’s why, in addition to hiring a team of experts who can advocate for different departmental needs, it’s imperative that you also understand the needs of the different segments of your workforce who will interact with the technology. Here are a few of the workforce segments/roles you should consider touching base with as you start the HCM solution buying process:
- Employees and managers: Identify some employees and managers from different areas of the organization and get their perspectives on your existing HCM processes. Identify their typical interaction points with HCM technology and get a better understanding of what elements of the technology will incentivize them to use it.
- Executives: You’ll typically have at least one executive sponsor who will need to approve your HCM solution buying decisions. It pays to check in with that person and other members of your executive team to ensure the solution you choose can showcase its value to them as well as provide them with accurate people data that can help them make decisions.
- Administrators: Even if you’ve hired a vendor partner to manage the employee lifecycle for your organization, it doesn’t hurt to personally sit down with administrators and try to isolate their specific needs. You want to make sure their experience with the new HCM technology is streamlined. Admins need to feel comfortable with navigating new solution software.
A People Company That Handles Your HCM Needs
Quanta HCM is a licensed partner of the UKG Workforce Ready system; an industry leading powerful suite of tools and services to manage and engage your entire workforce from pre-hire to retire. With decades of experience as both innovators and integrators, we understand all that goes into successfully running a business. Our mission is to streamline your human capital management to optimize your workforce.
Let us help you find and keep the best people with our custom-tailored HR and payroll solutions. Experience seamless onboarding, top-notch workforce management and benefits administration with our all-in-one HCM technology solution to help you manage the employee lifecycle. Contact us today for a better way to run your small business.